Wednesday, January 30, 2013

All About Me

       Hello, my name is Katelyn Kosterman!  I am currently studying at Edinboro University of Pennsylvania.  I am a sophomore and my major is Early Childhood and Special Education with a minor in Psychology.  My goal is to get my Bachelor's Degree, possibly attend grad school for counseling and become a Kindergarten teacher.  I have been a cheerleader for 10 years now and I love it.  I cheer for the University and also do a competitive all-star cheerleading squad.  I am also involved an Alpha Sigma Pi honor and leadership society on campus.  Outside of school I am a host at Outback Steakhouse in Erie.  I love spending time with friends, going to the beach and just enjoying life!






       I personally think technology in learning is very important.  Technology is used for so many different things nowadays.  I think it is very important for students to learn how to use technology and all different types of it.  This will help students in several ways.  They will be well rounded and learn different ways to incorporate those things into leaning.  It helps students learn information in several different ways.  They can be interactive and have a more hands on experience as opposed to just being lectured about a subject.  Almost all of the skills you learn will be used sometime throughout your life.

       I also think that technology in teaching is very important.  Teachers also need to adapt to all the new technologies coming out.  One main reason is because they need to be able to present those resources on to their class and incorporate them into their teaching style.  I think students learn better with the use of many different materials, especially programs they can be interactive with.  It is important for teachers to use it so that they are also well rounded individuals and can present information to their students in several different ways to increase the chance of learning it faster and for a longer period of time.  It also makes it easier to do projects and submit assignments and things.  Some great examples would be smart boards, D2L systems, Microsoft and power point.





I believe that all students have the ability to learn-
       All students have the ability to learn.  Sometimes it just depends on how you get the information across to them.  I think using different strategies and types of lessons is very important.  All children do not learn in the same way.  I personally am better with hands on activities which is why I feel very strongly about using them.  In my classroom, I will make sure to work with each student and make sure that they are keeping up with the rest of the class.  If you make things interesting and add fun creative ideas into your lessons there is a better chance that students will come in ready to learn.  If I just sit there and lecture them and there is no fun involved then I can’t expect the students to be excited about it and put forth the effort.  I will always do whatever I can to help students increase their ability to learn.  Some examples would be review games, group work, interactive lessons and field trips.




5 comments:

  1. I really agree with your belief statement. I too am a hands on type of person so I will use that type of teaching in my classroom as well. I love the outback so hopefully I will see you sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really agree with your belief statement also. Each student does learn in a different way and the teacher should do their best to make sure that no one falls behind. Teachers who do not care about the success of their students and do not bother to help them really make me mad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also agree strongly with your belief statement! It is definitely true that not everyone learns the same way and as being the educator, we need to find how each individual student learns, which I feel is a struggle for many teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think hands on activities are the most important things done in school, and one of the best ways for students to learn. Your post gives me a lot of information about you, do you plan on incorporating your cheerleading into the classroom? Think, circle time cheers? I recent saw one of my friends here at the BC3 cohort use it for her cicle time. It was fun as well as interesting to see the effect it had on how she did her songs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're about me page is awesome! It sounds like you do a lot with your spare time and balance school and thats an amazing thing that not a lot of people can do. I hope you achieve all of the goals that you would like to do in your future. It sounds like you're going to be very successful!

    ReplyDelete